Skip to main content
From the field

Hebron: Settlers' gunfire kills 14 year-old Nivin Jamjum, July 2002

Marwan Jamjum, brother of vicitm, aged 22

Marwan Jamjum

I live with my family, 11 people in total, on the third floor of an old building in the old city of Hebron, in H2. On Sunday, July 28 2002, I was at home with my parents, my brothers Nidal and Mazen and my 14-year-old sister Nivin. Nivin was playing video games. The area had been under curfew since Friday morning, and no one could leave their home. At around 1:30 P.M., I heard gunfire and people screaming: "Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar! Settlers! Settlers!" I hurried downstairs to lock the main iron door. Nivin wanted to know what was going on and followed me. When I looked through the small stairway windows, I saw more than 25 settlers on the street, near our house. Some of them were armed and others had knives and daggers. They were young, between the ages of 18 and 30. I went on down the stairs, and was surprised to see two settlers had already entered through the iron doors. They wee standing at the edge of the stairs.

My sister, Nivin, went ahead of me. I suddenly heard two shots. Nivin fell down the stairs. She didn't scream. Blood started flowing on the stairs and on her clothes. I realized she was hit and shouted: "Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar! Settlers are attacking us!"

I carried my sister in my arms and went into the street. I went to a neighbor who had a car and asked him to bring it. The neighbor, Abu Ramzi, started the car and I put my sister inside. My brother, Nidal, arrived in a hurry and we took off toward 'Alyah hospital. Three soldiers stopped us near Beit Romano. We told them a girl had been hit and was going to die. They detained us for about five minutes while they checked the car, and then let us go.

Nivin was breathing heavily. When we got to the hospital, she was taken into the Emergency room. She was pronounced dead 15 minutes later. A bullet had hit the right side of her head and fractured her scull.

When I was at the hospital, one of the doctors noticed blood on my foot. He asked to examine it, and I was surprised to find many wounds on my right ankle and another large wound on my left foot. Apparently, I was hit by shrapnel. I received treatment at the hospital, but refused to stay there. I insisted on going back home to bid farewell to my sister, who was buried at the Harat a-Sheikh cemetery on Monday, July 29, 2002.

Despite the fact that the shooting took me by surprise, I can remember what the settlers who attacked us looked like, especially the one who shot my sister. He was medium height, had a short black beard, a Kippah and ear locks. I had seen him many times before around the old city. The other one was taller than the first and had a light brown beard. They were both in their twenties. I recall seeing soldiers when I was looking through the stairway windows. I couldn't see how many.

Marwan Musa 'Awad Jamjum, born in 1980, works as a laborer, and is a resident of Area H2, Hebron, The West Bank.

The testimony was given to Musa Abu Hashhash at the witness' home on July 30, 2002