Photos of the town of Beit Hanoun in the northern Gaza Strip. Taken by Muhammad Sabah, B’Tselem field researcher in Gaza, on 5 August 2014, in the course of the ceasefire. Whole sections of Beit Hanoun have been demolished, making it one of the hardest hit communities in the recent offensive, along with Gaza City, Beit Lahiya, Khuza’ah and Rafah. In the course of the fighting B’Tselem collected several testimonies from Beit Hanoun residents. Click here to view photos and read testimonies.
"I drove the second ambulance, and there were two medics with me. The street is only about 200-300 meters from the call center, so we were there within minutes. When we reached the entrance to the street, we were surprised to see three tanks and a military bulldozer in the street, about 100 meters away. Suddenly, with no warning, they opened heavy machine-gun fire at us. The bullets penetrated the ambulance. I tried to turn the ambulance around to get out of there, but the steering wheel must have been hit. Suddenly, I felt sharp pain in my leg and realized I'd been hit by a bullet or shrapnel. Then the windshield shattered. Because I couldn't turn the ambulance around, I decided to try reversing. They kept firing as I backed up, until we got far enough away."
We only took several steps when, suddenly, a missile was fired at us. It landed very close to me. It hit the photojournalist directly, killing killed him. A 25-year-old paramedic was hit in the back by shrapnel. [...] I started treating a little boy, about four years old, who had been hit in the leg by shrapnel. Then I treated another paramedic [...] When we got to the vehicles, we saw they'd been damaged by the bombing, too. [...] We were left with one ambulance and one civil defense vehicle. We got in with the injured child and Fares, the injured paramedic. We headed to the hospital in those two cars [...] Along the short distance I crossed, about 300 meters, I saw a woman and six or seven children lying dead. A few meters from there, I saw two dead men. Across the road, I saw a man, woman and two small children lying dead. They may have been from a single family.
On 6 August 2014, Attorneys Hagai Kalai and Gilad Barnea submitted B'Tselem's response to the attorney general’s position as presented to Israel’s HCJ earlier this week as part of the state’s response to the organization’s petition. B’Tselem’s response emphasizes that the existing rule clearly establishes that it is permissible “to broadcast a political advertisement provided that it concentrate solely on a factual message.” B’Tselem’s proposed radio spot meets these conditions. The Attorney General’s recommendation to change rules as B’Tselem’s radio spot awaits approval raises concern of improper discrimination.
"Our house is 200 meters from the northern border of the Gaza Strip. I don’t have young children but the situation on the moshav [farming community] is unbearable. The noise of the firing from both sides was horrendous. It was impossible to concentrate on anything. [...] My children last came to visit on Passover. While they were staying with us there was a Color Red alert. My grandchildren woke up while we were carrying them into the safe room, and ever since they won’t agree to come visit."
"We heard an explosion nearby. [...] Then suddenly, my brother Ahmad and his wife Suha came in. They were in a panic. Ahmad said that their roof had been hit. I saw that Suha was very frightened. She was trembling. Ahmad asked us to get out of the house immediately. [...] Before we managed to get out, my mother said she wanted to use the toilet. [...] All of a sudden, I felt something pulling me into the house and everything collapsing on top of me. There was black smoke mixed with white dust. I felt I couldn’t breathe. I couldn’t move. I was buried in rubble."
"On Friday, 18 July 2014, about two hours after we left our home in Beit Hanoun, I heard a loud explosion. A house nearby, about 30 or 40 meters from where we were staying, was hit. [...] I went outside and ran over to the house that had been bombed. A lot of neighbors came as well. We started carrying the wounded to ambulances, which arrived quickly. After we were done carrying everyone out, we found out the results of the shelling: eight family members were killed and four were injured. I found that I knew some the people who had been killed. I knew 'Abd a-Rahman Abu Jarad, his wife, Rajaa, and their two children, a 6-month-old baby and a 6-year-old boy."
According to B'Tselem's initial figures, at least 1,510 Palestinians have been killed in the Gaza Strip and Israel in the time between early Tuesday, 8 July 2014, when Operation Protective Edge airstrikes on Gaza began, until 2 Aug. 2014.* The fatalities include: 366 minors (one minor participated in the hostilities), 174 women (under age 60), 75 senior citizens (aged 60 and over).
Since the operation began and until the evening of 3 Aug. 2014 two Israeli civilians, one foreign national and 64 Israeli soldiers have been killed in Israel and the Gaza Strip.
In Israel's latest military operation in the Gaza Strip, dubbed Operation Protective Edge, many homes were bombed with residents inside, killing several family members together. The following infographic details members of families killed in 36 incidents where civilian homes were bombed or shelled. In these incidents, 251 people were killed, including 55 women, 114 minors, and 11 people over the age of 60. Roll the mouse over the houses for more details. The figures are based on B'Tselem's initial investigation. We will continue to investigate the incidents and update the figures accordingly.
Most lethal strike on a single residential building in Gaza in many years, and probably ever: According to information received by B'Tselem, on the morning of 29 July 2014, the Israeli Air Force bombed a four-story apartment building in Khan Yunis. The building collapsed, burying its occupants. Thirty-five people were killed and 27 injured. B'Tselem will continue to investigate the inciden, Yet even at this early juncture, it can be stated that the bombing of the building was unlawful. There can be no justification for the deaths of so many civilians, including 18 minors and eight women. Israel repeatedly claims that it has no intention of harming civilians. However, after more than three weeks of lethal bombardments by Israel in the Gaza Strip which have killed hundreds of civilians and wiped out dozens of families, this claim has become meaningless.
"We started walking met a young man who lived in the neighborhood. He wanted to reach his home to check on his family. He wore green shirt. He asked us to help him and accompany him. [...] We were shocked by what we saw. A-Shuja'iyeh had become a real ghost town: a city of ruins, completely destroyed.[...] The house had been completely demolished. He stood in the ruins, shouting and calling Munir’s name, but no one answered [...] We managed to walk just a few steps more when we heard a single gunshot. The young man fell to the ground."
Before B’Tselem’s petition could be heard by the High Court of Justice (HCJ) and to counter discrimination arguments, the Israel Broadcasting Authority (IBA) pulled two patently political ads that support the Gaza offensive. The State requested an extension, stating that the Attorney General had not had enough time to formulate a position on the matter. The justices instructed the State to submit its position by Monday, 4 August 2014. The IBA and B’Tselem were given two days to respond to this position before the Court delivers its ruling.
According to B'Tselem's initial figures, at least 1,262 Palestinians have been killed in the Gaza Strip and Israel in the time between early Tuesday, 8 July 2014, when Operation Protective Edge airstrikes on Gaza began until the morning of 30 July.* The fatalities include: 314 minors (one minor participated in the hostilities), 148 women (under age 60), 62 senior citizens (aged 60 and over),
Initial findings indicate that 172 of the people killed participated in the hostilities.
Since the operation began and untill the evening of 31 July 2014 two Israeli civilians, one foreign national and 56 Israeli soldiers have been killed in Israel and the Gaza Strip.
Muhammad Sabah is B'Tselem's field researcher in the northern Gaza Strip. On 26 July 2014, he took the opportunity of a brief humanitarian ceasefire to inspect several locations in the area. Of the sights he saw in the town of Beit Hanoun during the ceasefire he said: "The situation in Beit Hanoun was terrible. I saw people trying to take a few belongings and get out of there as fast as they could in view of several days of artillery fire. They were also afraid of the ground incursion and because of the UNRWA school and the hospital in Beit Hanoun that had been hit."
Israeli human rights organization B'Tselem petitioned the High Court of Justice (HCJ) yesterday, 28 July 2014, seeking to oblige the Israel Broadcasting Authority (IBA) to air radio spots produced by B’Tselem which incorporate the names of a few of the more than 200 Palestinian children killed in Gaza in Operation Protective Edge. The IBA refused to air the radio spots on the grounds of being “controversial”, not balanced, and possibly provoking public controversy over the military operation.
Since Operation Protective Edge began on 8 July 2014, Palestinians throughout the West Bank have held strikes, rallies, processions and demonstrations to show support for residents of Gaza and to protest the military's actions. At some demonstrations, Palestinians threw stones and Molotov cocktails at Israeli security forces and burned tires; at one demonstration in Qalandiya, Palestinians fired live ammunition. Initial investigations by B'Tselem's field researchers found that in many cases, Israeli security forces responded with live fire. Initial information obtained by B'Tselem raises suspicion that senior commanding officers in the West Bank permitted security forces to use live fire as a means of crowd control, even in clashes with unarmed stone-throwers and in circumstances that posed no mortal risk to anyone.
We waited until dawn to leave the house. My children cried all night. On Friday (18 July), at 5:30 A.M., I left with my family. We didn’t take anything. Some of the kids didn’t even have enough time to find shoes and they went out barefoot. A lot of people left al-Qararah like us. We walked to Khan Yunis, about 8 kilometers away. We were afraid the bombing wouldn’t stop and we wanted to get as far away as we could. We finally arrived, tired and anxious, at an UNRWA school across from the Khan Yunis hospital. We left behind 25 sheep, a mare, a foal, and chickens.
"I was sitting reading the Quran when suddenly I heard a loud explosion. At first, I thought it was in the street or in a neighboring house. But I quickly realized it actually came from the roof of my house. I couldn't believe my house had been bombed. I ran up the stairs to the roof. Everything was full of dust and smoke. When they settled, I saw a terrible sight: a pile of five children lying one on top of the other... on the way to the hospital, Afnan passed away in my arms. I fainted. When I came to, we were at the hospital... they told me that two of my brother 'Issam's kids were dead too."
"I decided to walk to my sister's house in a-Rimal neighborhood. It was very dangerous. We walked single file, one after another. I carried 'Abd a-Rahman and he held on to me tightly. We walked hugging the walls of buildings and the doors of closed shops, and tried to take cover under trees and light shelters. It felt like we were walking through a ghost town. We were surrounded by death... I prayed to God that He protect my children and me. I kept walking until we reached the hospital in Beit Hanoun. I met my husband there. I hadn't seen him since the war began, because he was at work all the time... We took a taxi from there to my sister's house in a-Rimal neighborhood. She was already hosting three other families, relatives of ours who had also fled the bombings. All told, we were 31 people. I was still scared, because no place is safe."
According to B'Tselem's initial figures, at least 878 Palestinians have been killed in the Gaza Strip and Israel in the time between early Tuesday, 8 July 2014, when Operation Protective Edge airstrikes on Gaza began until the morning of 26 July. The fatalities include: 207 minors (one minor participated in the hostilities), 88 women (under age 60), 47 senior citizens (aged 60 and over), Initial findings indicate that 165 of the people killed participated in the hostilities.
Since the operation began two Israeli civilians, one foreign national and 43 Israeli soldiers have been killed in Israel and the Gaza Strip.