Updates

In March 2016, Israeli forces shut down operations in several Palestinian quarries in Beit Fajjar, near Bethlehem, assaulting laborers and confiscating essential equipment. According to quarry owners, these raids have occurred for years but have recently intensified. Israel systematically prevents Palestinian quarries from operating in the West Bank while allowing Israeli ones to operate there undisturbed, in breach of international law, as part of a policy to push Palestinian activity into enclaves and de facto annex the rest of the West Bank.

Israeli military vehicles in a Palestinian quarry in Beit Fajar. Photo: Said Derya, March 20
April 21

The MAG announced his decision to close the case against OC Binyamin Regional Brigade Col. Shomer. The officer had shot and killed ‘Ali-Kosba, 17, with three bullets to the upper body, after the latter threw a stone at his vehicle. B’Tselem says this decision is inherent to the whitewash mechanism which is Israel’s military investigative system. The MAG’s determination that the firing was lawful because Shomer claimed he had aimed at ‘Ali-Kosba’s legs but missed indicates the system’s willingness to ignore the law and regulations in the interest of absolving members of the security forces who unlawfully killed Palestinians.

Muhammad 'Ali-Kosba. Photo courtesy of the family.
April 10

On 7 April 2016, Israeli authorities carried out extensive demolitions in six Palestinian communities in the West Bank, five near the Ma’ale Adummim settlement and one, Khirbet Tana, in the Jordan Valley. Authorities demolished nearly all structures in Kh. Tana; it is the fourth demolition the community has undergone since February. All told, 34 structures, including 19 homes, 12 livestock pens, and three entrances to cave dwellings were demolished, leaving 112 people homeless, including 55 minors. Since January 2016, demolitions in Area C communities have left 563 people homeless, including 305 minors.

Ruins of structure demolished by authorities, Bir al-Maskub. Photo by Mus’ab ‘Abbas, B’Tselem, 7 April 2016
April 10

More demolitions this morning in the Jordan Valley and Ma’ale Adumim Area. Wave of demolitions, today, Apr. 7, in several West Bank communities including E1 and repeat demolitions in Khirbet Tana in the Jordan Valley. Earlier this week, the authorities demolished 6 dwellings in Um al-Kheir, South Hebron Hills, and 2 in Wadi al-Qalt. The recent action has left 43 people homeless, including 26 minors. It is part of a demolition campaign launched by Israel in early 2016, in which 128 dwellings and 138 other structures in vulnerable communities have already been destroyed, leaving 510 people, including 275 minors homeless.

Residents of Um al-Kheir in the South Hebron Hills, against the backdrop of a bulldozer destroying structures in the community. Photo: Nasser Nawaj'ah, B’Tselem, 6 April 2016.
April 7

Security forces recently demolished 4 apartments of relatives of Palestinians who perpetrated, or were suspected of perpetrating or aiding in attacks against Israelis, after the HCJ dismissed petitions filed by the families and HaMoked, upholding the demolitions. The demolitions left homeless 28 people, including 6 minors, who are suspected of no wrong doing. Since Oct. 2015 Israel has stepped up punitive house demolitions, with 36 apartments demolished or fully or partially sealed since. The large-scale sealing and demolition operations have left 147 people, including 65 minors, homeless.

Ruins of Nassar family’s home, Qabatiyah. Photo by Abdulkarim Sadi, B’Tselem, 4 April 2016
April 5

B’Tselem director wrote yesterday to OC Central Command and Chief of Police informing them of death threats made against ‘Imad Abu Shamsiyeh, the B’Tselem volunteer who filmed the incident in which a soldier shot and killed ‘Abd al-Fatah a-Sharif in Hebron. El-Ad requested assurance that the military and police commanders are aware of the danger to which Abu Shamsiyeh and his family are exposed. Since the footage was released, Abu Shamsiyeh and his family have been subjected to threats of murder, stones thrown at their home, and hateful posts on Facebook. Most of this violence was instigated by settlers.

‘Imad Abu Shamsiyeh
March 31

On the night of 12 March 2016, there was an Israeli air strike in the northern Gaza Strip. The IDF Spokesperson said the attack targeted a Hamas training camp, in response to a rocket fired at Israel. No one was injured on the base. The spokesperson failed to mention that a nearby family home was also hit, killing two children. This attack is part of a longstanding unlawful and immoral policy of air strikes on Gaza. Whoever planned the attack ought to have known there were civilians nearby and ensured their safety. Having failed to do so, the military and political decision makers are liable for the children’s death.

Salman Abu Khusah, the children's father. Photo by Muhammad Sabah, B’Tselem, 29 March 2016.
March 30

On 23 March 2016, Civil Administration and military forces came to Khirbet Tana to the east of Beit Furik and demolished 17 homes, 21 livestock pens, and five outhouses, two of them donated by the European Union. The forces also blocked the entrances to five caves and demolished a water reservoir built with the assistance of a Palestinian association. Six of the residential tents demolished were donated by an international humanitarian aid organization. This is the third demolition operation in the village since the beginning of 2016. The acts of destruction left 85 people homeless, including 30 minors.

Ruins of an outhouse donated by the EU. Photo: Abdulkarim Sadi, B'Tselem, 23 March 2016.
March 24

According to the media, two Palestinians were shot dead this morning after stabbing a soldier in Hebron. The soldier sustained medium-level injuries. Video footage shows one of the attackers lying on the road injured, with none of the soldiers or medics present attending to him. A soldier is then seen shooting him dead from close range. Extrajudicial killings are the direct result of inflammatory remarks by politicians and a public atmosphere of dehumanization. The message is clear: attempting to injure an Israeli means a death sentence.

Still from video, before the fatal shooting. Filmed by 'Imad Abu Shamsiyeh.
March 24

On 22 March 2016, Israeli authorities demolished a family tent and livestock pens and confiscated a solar panel in the Palestinian communities of Khirbet Jenbah and a-Taban in Masafer Yatta. This came a day before the HCJ hearing in the principled petitions filed by residents against the declaration of the area as Firing Zone 918 in an attempt to expel them from their homes. These structures were apparently not included in the orders prohibiting further demolition, issued by the HCJ after previous demolitions in February.

Civil Administration bulldozer demolishing a residential structure in Khirbet Jenbah in Masafer Yatta, 22 March 2016. Photo: Nasser Nawaj'ah, B'Tselem.
March 24

Tomorrow, 23 March 2016, Israel’s High Court of Justice will hold a hearing on a petition filed by the residents of Masafer Yatta against the Israeli Authorities' intention to expel them from their homes due to the establishment of "Firing Zone 918." The hearing will be the first held in the case since the two-year mediation process between the parties failed. Immediately after the mediation attempts ended, Israel destroyed 22 homes in the communities of Khirbet Jenbah and Khirbet al-Halawah. Ahead of the hearing, we visited the communities to learn about their current reality and legal situation. We visited Khirbet Jenbah, Khirbet al-Fakhit, and Khirbet al-Mufaqarah, and looked out over Khirbet Bir al-‘Eid and illegal outposts Mitzpe Yair and Lucifer Farm.

Mother and daughter Zeinab and Rasmiya Abu ‘Arram by their livestock pen in Khirbet Jenbah. Photo: Osnat Skoblinski, B'Tselem.
March 22

Israeli human rights and civil society organizations condemn in the strongest possible terms the ongoing anonymous attacks against Palestinian human rights organizations, and most recently against Al-Haq. As Israeli organizations, we express our solidarity with our Palestinian counterparts. Al-Haq has indeed been faced with increasing pressure, which started with anonymous emails to staff and donors, citing non-existent fraud investigations, continued with daily calls from blocked numbers meant to intimidate the staff, and culminated in death threats to a staff member and to its General Director, Shawan Jabarin. These recent threats were directly connected to Al-Haq's ongoing work before the International Criminal Court in The Hague.

March 15

Last night the media reported that Taylor Force, a 29-year-old U.S. citizen, was killed and eleven people injured in a stabbing attack by a Palestinian. The assailant was shot dead by security forces. B’Tselem expresses deep sorrow over Taylor Force’s death and conveys its sincerest condolences to his family. B’Tselem sends its best wishes for a speedy recovery to the wounded. The deliberate targeting of civilians undermines every moral, legal and human standard. B’Tselem strongly condemns any and all deliberate attacks against civilians and calls once again on politicians and leaders to act responsibly and avoid fanning the flames of violence.

March 9

The demand for work in the Gaza Strip is enormous, with an unemployment rate of some 40%. The major reason is the prolonged siege Israel has imposed on Gaza. To mark International Women’s Day, we spoke with three women – a carpenter, a blacksmith, and a vegetable market laborer – who are all trying to sustain families in this near-impossible economic reality. Gazan women face a particularly trying challenge, as they must deal not only with the dearth of work to match their skills, but also, like women around the world, with a society in which women are considered less valuable and work harder for lower pay.

Blacksmith ‘Ayesha Ibrahim at work. Photo by Muhammad Sabah, B’Tselem, 1 March 2016
March 8

In the first week of March, authorities demolished 17 dwellings, 19 livestock pens, and a school in two Jordan Valley communities, rendering 64 people - incl. 28 minors - homeless. These actions are a direct continuation of the unusually massive demolition campaign authorities launched in Palestinian shepherding communities across the West Bank. Since Jan., authorities have dismantled and demolished 203 structures, including 105 dwellings, in communities threatened with expulsion; 435 people, including 234 minors, lost their homes. This consistently applied government policy constitutes the forced transfer of protected Palestinian residents in an occupied area.

Residents of Khirbet Tana near entrance to residential cave demolished by the authorities. Photo by Abdulkarim Sadi, B’Tselem, 2 Mar. 2016
March 8

On 9 Feb. 2016, D.W., 12, was detained at the entrance to the settlement of Carmei Tzur while carrying a concealed knife. D. signed a plea bargain and was convicted of attempted manslaughter and sentenced to imprisonment for 4½ months. She was completely alone during the trial and the prosecution was not required to present any evidence. Though exceptional, this case illustrates the manner in which the military judicial system tramples defendants’ rights. Instead of ensuring that justice is done, this system seeks to preserve the occupation regime.

D.W. being arrested. Photo circulated on social media by “Gush Etzion Spokesman Group”
March 3

According to Israel Prison Service figures, the last quarter of 2015 saw a marked rise in the number of Palestinians in Israeli custody, including administrative detainees, women and minors: at the end of 2015, 6,066 Palestinians were being held on security grounds, the highest number since July 2010. This includes 584 administrative detainees - the most since September 2008; 422 minors - the most since August 2008 at the latest, and 44 women - the most since September 2009.

March 3

This morning, 29 February 2016, Civil Administration (CA) and military personnel arrived at the community of Khallet Khader in the region of al-Farisiyah in the northern Jordan Valley. They demolished five dwelling tents, which were home to 19 people, including five minors. They also demolished three livestock pens in use by Khallet Khader families. The tents had been given to the families by the Red Cross after the CA demolished 21 structures in the community on 11 February 2016. The community of Khallet Khader is located in the region of al-Farisiyah, which the military had termed a firing zone, and near the settlements of Shadmot-Mehola and Rotem. The community’s residents are farmers and they raise goats and sheep. Some families live on site only for certain seasons of the year.

Residents at Khallet Khader this morning. Photo by ‘Araf Daraghmeh, B’Tselem, 29 Feb. 2016
February 29

On 23 Feb. 2016 the military demolished the homes of two families in the Hebron area as punishment for attacks for which individual members of the families have been indicted. The demolitions - which left 15 people homeless, including 9 minors, none of whom are suspected or accused of any wrongdoing - were implemented after the HCJ rejected petitions filed in the matter by the families and HaMoked. Since Oct. 2015 Israel has stepped up punitive home demolitions, a policy the HCJ approves virtually without restriction. Such conduct cannot be considered more than lip service to the notion of judicial review.

Khalil family home after the demolition. Photo by Nasser Nawaj’ah, B’Tselem, 23 Feb. 2016
February 29

Bab al- Majles is a neighborhood in the heart of the Old City of Jerusalem. Once a rich cultural and social hub, a major route crossed by Muslim worshippers on their way to al-Aqsa Mosque, the neighborhood has been under a chokehold since the police put up a checkpoint at its entrance in the summer of 2014, imposing severe access restrictions, which severely harmed residents’ lives and livelihoods. This is collective punishment of the entire neighborhood. Israel must remove the checkpoints and allow residents to resume their normal lives.

Bab al- Majles neighborhood in the Old City of Jerusalem. Photo: Yoav Gross, B'Tselem, 23 Feb. 2016.
February 28